Destiny deals with the future
The legacy you leave has to do with the future
You cannot reach that future point in your life (or after your life) and decide to leave a legacy, because you cannot reap what you have not sown.
The harvest you lay up for the future depends on what you sow now.
In order to create a heritage for the time to come, there are some critical choices to make in the time that is now.
1. Choose a Future Focus rather than a Now Focus
Now focus Future focus
2. Choose Accomplishment rather than Affirmation
Everybody likes to be recognized/approved
(Mary was not affirmed)
Intimidated/Ignored/Others not interested
Not right/biblical – it happens
Mould and tailor your ministry
Play the role / formulate the responses
Choose the affirmation of man or decide that regardless of what men say,
- You heard what God said
- You decide to obey what God said
- You accomplish something meaningful
Crabs in a bucket – the ones inside make sure none get out
You can become king crab – but you are in a bucket
The only future you have in a bucket – is to die
The result of seeking affirmation of man – you die in the bucket rather than living out your true potential
“Success is not measured only by what a man accomplishes, but also by the opposition he encounters and the courage he maintains against overwhelming odds.
3. Choose Future Potential over Financial Gain
When your focus is on the now zone
- things are hard
- trusting God day by day to get by
- financial gain can become a powerful motivator.
Never make decisions based on Rands/Cents
- make decisions based on future potential
- (Mary did not care how much the oil cost)
- Instead of try to get Rands/Cents from people, seek to add value to people, because money flows to where needs are being met
4. Choose Personal Growth over Immediate Pleasure
“There are no shortcuts to anywhere that is worth going”
- there are only steps
- no lifts, no escalators
Growth is the only guarantee of a future
Thoughts on growth
a. Take responsibility for your own personal growth
“You have to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather is.
b. God never put you in a place that is too small for you to grow
c. Grow to become, not to aquire
d. Growth brings good things, good things do not bring growth
e. Stay out of your comfort zone
You cannot grow unless you try something you have not yet mastered
f. Hang around people who are growing
If you want to know the direction you are going, look at your closest associates/peers in life.
g. Have a personal growth plan
You will not change your life until you change at least one thing that you do daily.
5. Choose Significance rather than Security
Great men of history were great because of what they gave their lives to accomplish. (Nelson Mandela quote)
For everything you gain is there is something to lose
- My wife Michelle spoke these wise words to me to help me choose a path of significance
“You cannot take new ground if you are consumed with maintaining the old ground.”
- The security of the old will have to be let go of, so that you can embrace the new that will lead to destiny.
- You have to let something go, so you can do something of significance.
The test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
6. Choose your Christian Walk over your Christian Work
The legacy you leave tomorrow is going to come out of the investments you make today.
- If you are going to make the big choices tomorrow you need to start making some of the smaller ones today.
Each choice you make is an investment in the legacy you will leave and a deposit in the destiny of the generation that will come after you.